- This event has passed.
2022 Bond Library Advocacy
November 15, 2021 @ 8:00 am - December 16, 2021 @ 5:00 pm
Calling All Library Advocates: Support the three library projects currently on the staff recommendation for full funding and add the Bazan Branch Library Transformation Project and the Express Plus Outlet – Port SA/Lackland AFB.
• Support complete funding for the 2022 Library bond projects on the City staff recommendation as presented to the public Facilities Committee:
• Central Library Renovation: $6M (City-wide) Opened in 1995.
• Carver Branch Library Transformation and Expansion to an Area Library: $12.5M (District 2) Opened in 1973.
• Las Palmas Branch Library Phase 2 Renovation/Master Plan: $5.25M (District 5) Opened in 1994.
• Consider adding the following key priority projects to expand equitable and full access to Library service for San Antonians:
• Bazan Branch Library Transformation: $4.5M (District 5) to update building systems, refresh furniture and fixtures, update embedded technology, improve the aged based areas of the library, increase accessibility and sustainability, and enhance the community meeting room. Opened in 1993.
• Alternate Service Outlet – Port SA/Lackland AFB Area: Express Plus $5M/TBD depending on co-location. (District 4) To meet a current service geographic gap without library services. Service population of the new outlet is an estimated total population of up to 67,744 persons.
• The Area Library model would be a first-of-its-kind library outlet. This project would expand and enhance the existing Carver Branch Library for the provision of both core library services, but also to strengthen its role as a center of community engagement in response to residents’ needs:
• Expansion of 10,000 square feet, for a total of approximately 21,000 square feet making it the largest branch in the library system
• Expanded children’s area, teen area, Connect computer lab, LEARN Center (Adult Basic Education), and Community Meeting Room
• More flexible spaces for community events
• Design improvements to increase equity and inclusion
• Building systems updated for sustainability
• Addition of new spaces, such as study rooms
• Capacity to serve a larger population within District 2.
The Express Plus alternate outlet would be a focused, smaller outlet to serve a community of lesser population with the core services of collection of books and materials, technology, and staffing to offer basic services.
• Placement in the Port SA/Lackland AFB Area would fill a current library service gap in District 4.
• This outlet would be co-located with another City facility to provide an innovative library presence.
• This service model is a candidate for other municipal facilities like community and senior centers. Please plan to attend a Facilities Public Bond Committee community input meeting to give your testimony in support of the Library Board’s list of recommended projects and the importance of libraries to you.
Community Bond Facilities Committee Meetings Information
Facilities Committee Meeting Dates
• Thursday, November 18, 2021, 6 pm – 8 pm [COMMUNITY INPUT MEETING]
• Thursday, December 9, 2021, 6 pm – 8 pm [COMMUNITY INPUT MEETING]
• Thursday, December 16, 2021, 6 pm – 8 pm*
*There will be no opportunity for community input during the December 16 meeting. This meeting is for Committee Deliberations/Action.
2022 Bond message points 11.9.21 v2
All meetings will be held at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center located at 900 E. Market Street. City staff members will be on site to help visitors with wayfinding to the meeting. Parking is free at the Convention Center Garage located at 41 Bowie Street. Spanish and American Sign Language interpretation will be available. All meetings will be livestreamed at https://www.youtube.com/user/COSAGOV, however those wishing to speak during Citizens to Be Heard must be physically present at the meeting.