Due to Covid concerns and restrictions, the Literacy Caravan is unavailable to book public visits for the rest of this summer. We are currently working to schedule very limited fall campus visits.
Our staff is monitoring the city guidelines and library closures regarding COVID-19, and will continue to assess the safety of Caravan visits.
Questions for the Literacy Caravan? Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
In 2008, Scholastic, the world’s largest bookseller, and the Library Foundation joined forces to bring a mobile classroom on wheels to San Antonio and Bexar County. Today, donors and supporters keep the Literacy Caravan on the road and filled with literacy and art activities; spaces for story time, creative exploration, and motor skill development; and everyone leaves with a book.
A special thanks to the Mays Family Foundation for investing in a new and improved RV!
As a program of SAPLF, the Literacy Caravan aligns with our mission – to strengthen the library in service to our community – by:
- Promoting family literacy and its role in a child’s future success.
- Fostering a love of reading, increasing the number of library card holders in the San Antonio community and creating a connection between families and the library.
- An estimated 10,000+ adults and children annually from Bexar County and beyond;
- Residents from all socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds with a focus on districts in town with a lower literacy rate;
- Families looking for a free, fun, educational resource;
- Current and potential Library patrons.
- Offers opportunities for parent/child interaction, interactive play and sharing books with their children, and shares early literacy and library information in a variety of formats designed to best meet the needs and interests of each group.
- Since its inception, the Literacy Caravan has impacted more than 125,000 children and families who all take home a free book to promote continued literacy in the home.
- The Literacy Caravan is currently funded for 70 visits annually to schools, community centers, festivals, and businesses across our city.
If you would like to support the Literacy Caravan and its efforts, please complete the form below: