In 2008, Scholastic, the world’s largest bookseller, and the Library Foundation joined forces to bring a mobile classroom on wheels to the city. Today, the United Way of San Antonio and Bexar County keeps our RV on the road and filled with literacy and art activities; spaces for story time, creative exploration, and motor skill development; and everyone leaves with a book. And thanks to the Mays Family Foundation, the Alamo City will see a new van on the streets in 2018!
As a program of SAPLF, the Literacy Caravan aligns with our mission – to strengthen the library in service to our community – by:
- Promoting family literacy and its role in a child’s future success.
- Fostering a love of reading, increasing the number of library card holders in the San Antonio community and creating a connection between families and the library.
- An estimated 10,000+ adults and children annually from Bexar County and beyond;
- Residents from all socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds with a focus on districts in town with a lower literacy rate;
- Families looking for a free, fun, educational resource;
- Current and potential Library patrons.
- Offers opportunities for parent/child interaction, interactive play and sharing books with their children, and shares early literacy and library information in a variety of formats designed to best meet the needs and interests of each group.
- Since its inception, the Literacy Caravan has impacted more than 125,000 children and families who all take home a free book to promote continued literacy in the home.
- The Literacy Caravan is currently funded for 70 visits annually to schools, community centers, festivals, and businesses across our city.
Join us at one of these FREE Community Visits!
The Literacy Caravan is booked for July 2019 – November 2019.