Our staff is monitoring the city guidelines and library closures regarding COVID-19, and will continue to postpone Caravan visits until it is safe to resume.
In 2008, Scholastic, the world’s largest bookseller, and the Library Foundation joined forces to bring a mobile classroom on wheels to San Antonio and Bexar County. Today, donors and supporters keep the Literacy Caravan on the road and filled with literacy and art activities; spaces for story time, creative exploration, and motor skill development; and everyone leaves with a book.
A special thanks to the Mays Family Foundation for investing in a new and improved RV!
As a program of SAPLF, the Literacy Caravan aligns with our mission – to strengthen the library in service to our community – by:
- Promoting family literacy and its role in a child’s future success.
- Fostering a love of reading, increasing the number of library card holders in the San Antonio community and creating a connection between families and the library.
- An estimated 10,000+ adults and children annually from Bexar County and beyond;
- Residents from all socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds with a focus on districts in town with a lower literacy rate;
- Families looking for a free, fun, educational resource;
- Current and potential Library patrons.
- Offers opportunities for parent/child interaction, interactive play and sharing books with their children, and shares early literacy and library information in a variety of formats designed to best meet the needs and interests of each group.
- Since its inception, the Literacy Caravan has impacted more than 125,000 children and families who all take home a free book to promote continued literacy in the home.
- The Literacy Caravan is currently funded for 70 visits annually to schools, community centers, festivals, and businesses across our city.